Xtreme-Motoring
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC

5 posters

Go down

Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC Empty Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC

Post  Calibra-Keith Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Top Gear stars James May and Richard Hammond have not yet signed new contracts despite their agreements expiring at the end of the month – leading to fears they may leave the show.

Internally at the BBC there are fears that "there could be a break up of the team, it has got that bad" according to one source familiar with the negotiations, MediaGuardian.co.uk can reveal.

Negotiations stalled after the pair "turned down flat" the first offer from the BBC and have argued for a TV contract that gives them a salary more in line with the pay packet of co-host Jeremy Clarkson, according to the source.

"Internally there is talk that there might be a chance for the first time that there could be a break up of the team, it has got that bad," said the source.

He claimed: "There has been a lot of pulling out of hair, a Mexican stand-off. For the first time it is possible that one or both might leave."

"They don't want to accept second status anymore," said the source. "There has been a meltdown in negotiations."

It is understood that the new deal Clarkson signed last month gives him a return on some of the commercial activities of the Top Gear franchise.

In June he struck a lucrative deal with BBC Worldwide to promote BBC2 hit Top Gear around the world, in return for a profit-related fee.

The show is a success abroad, with the US and Australia making their own versions.

According to a source familiar with the situation, the "recalibration" of Clarkson's Top Gear deal is a significant extra bonus and gives more leverage to Hammond and May's agents to argue for more money.

While the pair claim that they deserve pay commensurate with their star status, it is understood the BBC has argued that Top Gear is the pair's "power base" for popularity.

Without a Top Gear deal, the BBC argues that Hammond and May's wider media profiles could be damaged.

Hammond has built up his popularity immensely since his brush with death in a high-speed crash for Top Gear last year.

May has also built up a following with his on-screen partnership with wine expert Oz Clarke in BBC2 show Oz and James's Big Wine Adventure.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "We never comment on contract negotiations."

The corporation is in a difficult position following a recent review by the BBC Trust of the pay of its top talent.

The report acknowledged the greater competition for entertainment talent, with chairman Sir Michael Lyons saying: "The value of great entertainers, comedians, actors, presenters, journalists and interviewers is rightly very high and the BBC has a special responsibility because of its funding to help develop the UK's talent base for the benefit of the industry as a whole."

But he added: "The BBC has to be prepared to walk away from deals that do not offer good value."

Such is the popularity of Top Gear, there are claims that if the BBC had not signed the lucrative deal with Clarkson, media mogul Simon Fuller was interested in talking to him about projects.

Top Gear hit the headlines earlier this week after the BBC Trust criticised the show's Polar Special for showing Clarkson and May drinking gin and tonics while driving near the North Pole.

According to Mail Online yesterday, May responded to the decision by saying: "When I saw the ruling, I thought, 'You can sod off'.
Calibra-Keith
Calibra-Keith
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Male
Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : site owner, cars & bikes
Humor : Happy
Registration date : 2008-04-02

http://xtreme-motoring.com

Back to top Go down

Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC Empty Re: Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC

Post  lisah Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 am

no they can't break up the team it wouldn't be the same Shocked Shocked
lisah
lisah
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Female
Number of posts : 143
Humor : whats that?
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC Empty Re: Top Gear's James May and Richard Hammond 'turned down' BBC

Post  *~RST2EMZ~* Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Top gear better stay on my screen with the full original cast or i will go into melt down lol Sad
*~RST2EMZ~*
*~RST2EMZ~*
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Female
Number of posts : 210
Job/hobbies : Currently Recovering From Op - As For Hobbies = Mates, Men n Cars
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  TuffCutter Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 pm

i know what your saying but JC is the legend and it wouldnt be the same with out him. It just wouldnt be Sad
TuffCutter
TuffCutter
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Male
Number of posts : 128
Job/hobbies : Student/ Rugby, Cycling, Rock Climing and Response Driving
Humor : Sarcastic/Dry
Registration date : 2008-04-09

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=638975926

Back to top Go down

Post  TuffCutter Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:47 pm

From the horses mouth!!

Top Gear pair to sign new deals
Left to right: Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May
Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May host the hit show

Top Gear presenters Richard Hammond and James May are expected to sign new contracts that will see them stay on the popular BBC Two motoring show.

"We expect the contracts will be signed in the next few weeks," a spokeswoman for the programme said.

Newspaper stories claimed May or Hammond could quit if they did not get more money, after fellow host Jeremy Clarkson signed a lucrative new deal.

"It is actually all rubbish," May told BBC Five Live in response last month.

"I'm not really sure where it's come from. I think it must be somebody making trouble.

"I've never stormed off about money or contracts or any of that sort of stuff. I'm paid quite well by Top Gear, to be honest. I'm very happy and I'm pretty sure Hammond feels the same."

Top Gear is one of BBC Two's most popular programmes, attracting between five and eight million viewers a week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7538842.stm
TuffCutter
TuffCutter
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Male
Number of posts : 128
Job/hobbies : Student/ Rugby, Cycling, Rock Climing and Response Driving
Humor : Sarcastic/Dry
Registration date : 2008-04-09

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=638975926

Back to top Go down

Post  kimmibbi Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Top Gear is one of BBC Two's most popular programmes, attracting between five and eight million viewers a week.

im one of these viewers lol i heard this also and though oh god!! another top programme goin off air, then they said that it was all fake nd they didnt really have arguements about it, i dont know what to believe to be honest Sad
kimmibbi
kimmibbi
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Female
Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Student!! haha nd part timer
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  lisah Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Phew am soo glad cheers how wrong would that have been No No
lisah
lisah
XM Registered User
XM Registered User

Female
Number of posts : 143
Humor : whats that?
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum